On July 6, 2019, together with Filial Piety Association, Wong Tai Sin Temple, Women’s Service Association, and Hong Kong Legacy Academy hold the 13th Filial Piety Awards Ceremony at the Wong Tai Sin Temple. We had 500 participants including Hon. Choy So Yuk, Deputy of National People’s Congress, Dr. Lee Yiu Fai, MH, Abbot of Wong Tai Sin Temple, Dr. Tong Yun Kai, President of Hong Kong Confucius Academy, Professors and other NGO leaders.
This event, focused mainly on secondary students, their parents and teachers, featured a half-day workshop on filial piety. The professional facilitator used movie clips, pop songs and stories to engage the audience. There were several moving moments that led participants to deep and meaningful reflections on the true value of the parent-child relationship.
Finally, the 13th Annual Filial Piety Awards Ceremony was conducted. After brief speeches by Prof. Thomas Hwang, Dr. Lee Yiu Fai, and Hon. Choy So Yuk, the awards were presented.
More than 200 certificates, and nine trophies, were awarded to winners of the Filial Piety Essay Contest, which this year included primary as well as secondary students. Students and teachers received the awards on stage, and the top two essay winners read their essays for the audience. It was inspiring to hear the youth share, in their own words, their appreciation for their parents’ love and investment in them.
For the first time this year, Ambassador of Filial Piety awards were presented to 60 adults and 30 young people. Also, a special award was presented to Dr. Tong Yun Kai in recognition of his 40 years of promoting Confucian values throughout the world.
After the awards, 63 adult and elderly members of a qigong group led the audience in a lively dance/exercise routine, among other performances. The highlight was a Chinese dance by our Hyojeong Youth, who impressed the audience with their youthful spirit and power.
The ancient, traditional value of filial piety is often regarded as old-fashioned and solemn, but the atmosphere of this program was surprisingly youthful and uplifting. Students, parents and teachers lingered longer than usual afterwards.
- “I was very impressed by the families of Family Federation who always serve the community as whole families. These families are role models for society.”
- “It was a great event for the modern youth.”
- “I was very impressed by the energy of the young people’s performance.”
- “It was meaningful for the youth to think about the best practices of filial piety towards their beloved elders.”
- “It seems that every year this filial piety activity improves in some way. This year everyone was so happy and joyful.” – comment from longtime supporter